Areas of Practice
Brian is a senior associate in the firm’s corporate practice group. His practice encompasses many areas of general corporate and commercial law, with specialist expertise in securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, corporate redomiciliations and cross-border financings (specialism in aviation and ship finance). He also advises on partnership and regulatory law.
Prior to joining MJM in June 2012, Brian was an associate at Conyers Dill & Pearman in Bermuda and in Singapore (on secondment). A significant part of his practice in south-east Asia involved acting for banks in a variety of secured and unsecured lending transactions and advising Bermuda incorporated listed companies on matters of corporate governance and compliance with Bermuda law.
Brian has acted as consultant to the Bermuda Monetary Authority, the island’s integrated regulator of the financial services sector, where he advised on proposals to regulate the corporate service provider industry and to enhance the Authority’s enforcement powers across the insurance, investment business, trusts and banking sectors.
- Notary Public and Commissioner of Oaths
Bar and Court Admissions
Mr. Holdipp was called to the Bermuda Bar in 1998.
- Diploma in Legal Practice, The College of Law (Guildford, U.K.), 1997
- LL.B. (Hons), University of Kent (Canterbury, U.K.), 1996
- B.A., Andrews University (Michigan, USA), 1993
- Getting the Deal Through – Securities Finance 2015 – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Securities Finance 2014 – View
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Mergers & Acquisitions 2017 Edition – View
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mergers & Acquisitions 2016 – Bermuda Chapter – View
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mergers & Acquisitions 2015 Edition – View
- Brian is a regular contributor to the Bermuda Law Blog
Brian Holdipp…is “technically excellent and highly reliable.”
— IFLR1000, 2018
Brian Holdipp advises on a range of M&A, finance and securities matters, including major asset finance transactions. He took the lead acting for the Golden Ocean Group regarding a Norwegian private placement valued at approximately USD200 million.
— Chambers Global, 2017
Brian Holdipp…has ‘strong drafting skills and knowledge of Bermuda law and precedent’
— Legal 500, 2017
Brian Holdipp has a growing reputation as one of the jurisdiction’s most capable senior associates. He advised Knightsbridge Shipping on a proposed combination with Golden Ocean Group, believed to be the first instance of a direct merger between two Bermuda-incorporated public companies.
— Chambers Global, 2016
Holdipp is ‘extremely good and responsive, and has good commercial awareness’.
— Legal500, 2015
An executive who has hired the firm reports, “I have worked with MJM regularly over the last three years, in particular with Brian Holdipp, mainly on aircraft finance transactions. Our clients and we are very happy with the service they provide. They are efficient and responsive and have a good grasp of the industry issues. Brian has a lot of experience and works in a calm and efficient matter.”
— IFLR1000, 2015