11 Sep Andrew A. Martin
Andrew A. Martin
Areas of Practice
Andrew’s practice includes complex international corporate dispute resolution, commercial litigation and arbitration, insolvency, corporate reconstruction, substantial trust litigation and complex employment matters.
Andrew has appeared in a number of significant cases in Bermuda, featuring company and commercial law issues, trust and insolvency issues. He has been involved in a number of schemes of arrangement for multi-national companies and has advised creditors, secured lenders and insolvents and court appointed liquidators.
He served as managing director of the firm from 1998 to 2003 and 2005 to 2007.
Andrew has been involved in a significant number of cases reported in the Bermuda Law Reports – View
Andrew served for several terms on the Law Reform Committee for Bermuda. In the 1990s he chaired the Sub-Committee of the Law Reform Committee which proposed the introduction of the Control of Exemption Clauses Act. In the 1980s Andrew participated as a member of the Sub-Committees of the Law Reform Committee which recommended the amendments to the Rules of the Supreme Court 1985 and the Bankruptcy Act 1989. He was a member of the Bermuda Bar Council from 1987–1992. Other professional memberships include the Hon. Society of Lincoln’s Inn and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Andrew’s pro bono and community activities also include:
- Legal Advisor, Bermuda Hospitals Charitable Trust (2003 to present)
- Director, Bermuda Health Alliance (1998–2000)
- Chairman, Friends of Hospice (1992–1998)
- Legal Advisor, Physical Abuse Centre (1985–1990)
Andrew was called to the Bar of England & Wales (Lincoln’s Inn) in 1983. Upon his return to Bermuda in 1984 he was called to the Bermuda Bar, and was appointed as a Notary Public in 1989.
- LL.B. (Hons) University of Southampton (Southampton, England), 1981
- Lincoln’s Inn, (London, England), 1983
- Lexology Navigator – Restructuring & Insolvency in Bermuda Q&A – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Mergers & Acquisitions – Bermuda Chapter – 2016 – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Restructuring & Insolvency 2016 – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Mergers & Acquisitions 2015 – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Restructuring & Insolvency 2015 – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Restructuring & Insolvency 2014 – View
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Business Crime 2015 Edition – View
- “Cross-border insolvency” in Global Insolvency & Restructuring Review 2014/15 – View
- “The Islands that could – and do” in South Square Digest – August 2014 – View
- Getting the Deal Through – Mergers & Acquisitions 2014 – View
- “Creditors under Bermuda Law” in Offshore Commercial Law in Bermuda (2013) – View
- Andrew is a regular contributor to the Bermuda Law Blog