08 Dec Nicole Cavanagh
Areas of Practice
Nicole is a Senior Associate in the firm’s Matrimonial and Family Department. Having two decades of family law experience, Nicole is an expert in helping clients resolve their issues in the least stressful and most cost effective way possible.
Nicole worked in both Hong Kong and the UK before joining MJM in 2022. She brings a wide-ranging knowledge of international family law to the team, with the key focus being on resolving financial disputes and putting in place the best arrangements for children. When children are embroiled in a family breakdown, Nicole understands the importance of reducing the impact and potential trauma involved.
During her time in Asia, Nicole’s work with business families put her in good stead for the legal landscape in Bermuda, particularly in relation to high net worth individuals, nuptial agreements, both prior to marriage and post separation, and trust disputes arising in the context of divorce proceedings.
Nicole works closely with her clients to ensure a legal strategy is in place from the outset. This approach ensures that those involved will to continue to move forward, even after the case has concluded.
Prior to joining MJM, Nicole worked with Maples Group and in the top-tier rated family department of a large independent Hong Kong law firm.
- England and Wales, 2005
- Hong Kong, 2013
- BSc. (Hons) Leicester University (UK), 1999
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, The College of Law (York, U.K.), 2001
- Legal Practice Course Diploma, The College of Law (York, U.K.), 2002
- The University of Hong Kong, Executive Certificate in Finance and Compliance, International Business, 2017
- Elected Member of the Steering Committee for STEP Special Interest Group – Business Families
- Member of the International Bar Association – Family Law Committee
- Affiliate Member, Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP)
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
Nicole contributes to the firm’s Bermuda Law Blog and regularly summarises the latest family law updates in Bermuda and other relevant jurisdictions.