Malta has been an EU member since 2004 and sits at the crossroads of three continents in its strategic location at Europe’s southernmost frontier with Africa.
As a reputable financial centre with anti-money laundering and professional secrecy legislation based on the EU model, the jurisdiction is viewed very positively and enjoys an enviable reputation internationally. Inherent tax benefits and a vast network of double taxation treaties make Malta an attractive fiscal base with many advantages for an international tax strategy. The EURO was successfully adopted as the national currency on 1st January 2008. The Private law system is based on the Continental law system but British Common law have a strong influence, especially with respect to fiscal and commercial law. Maltese companies benefit from a flexible legal and regulatory framework that is able to relate to different legal systems.
Malta is a sovereign independent state enjoying political, economic and social stability. It is a parliamentary democracy based on the British model; forming an integral part of Western Europe both politically and culturally. As a member of the United Nations, the Council of Europe and the Commonwealth, Malta maintains friendly relations with all countries through its policy of non-alignment.
- Normally a minimum of 2 shareholders (but one need only hold one share).
- Minimum authorised and issued share capital only €1,165 of which only 20% need be paid up.
- Corporate directors permitted.
- Comprehensive Double Taxation Treaty network.
- No withholding tax on interest and royalties paid to non-residents.
- Tax refunds system applicable on earnings to overseas shareholders under full imputation system.
- Participation holding tax exemption (zero tax) can apply in certain cases of substantial holdings in the equities of foreign companies.
- No withholding tax on dividends.
- No stamp duty on share issues or transfers.
- Share capital may be in a foreign currency and taxes payable or refundable in the reporting currency.
- No exchange control regulations.
- Possible to migrate companies to and from Malta.
Click here for Malta Fees (shown in EURO €)
- Malta now important as a ship and yacht registration destination.