Alan W. Dunch, J.P.
Areas of Practice
Alan is the director responsible for the firm’s litigation practice group. With over 37 years of experience, he has developed specialized skills and expertise in the areas of labour and employment disputes, telecommunications and regulatory law, planning law, hospitality law, corporate and commercial litigation and insurance litigation.
Alan commenced his practice of law with Appleby Spurling & Kempe and rose steadily through the ranks to become head of litigation before leaving in 1996 to join MJM as director responsible for the firm’s litigation practice. Throughout the course of his career, he has appeared regularly before the Courts of Bermuda at every level and in the Privy Council. He also has extensive arbitration and overseas jurisdiction experience.
Alan does extensive work for the Bermuda Government – innovative and interesting case work with a number of matters of national public importance. He has been instrumental in developing and drafting legislative changes in the areas of Tourism, Gaming, and Labour and Employment, and was named Casino Gaming Commission Chairman this year. Alan also provides business, labour and general advice to our clients both locally and overseas, sits on a number of Boards of Directors and also involves himself in private client advisory and trust work.
Alan has been involved in a significant number of cases reported in the Bermuda Law Reports – View
- Bermuda Bar Association, Canadian Bar Association, International Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Fellow of the Congress for International Legal Studies
- International Association of Defence Counsel
- Mid Ocean Club, Royal Bermuda Yacht Club
- He is immediate Past President of the Mid Ocean Club.
Bar and Court Admissions
Alan has been a Member of the Canadian Bar Association since 1979 having originally been called to the Bar of the Canadian Province of New Brunswick. He has been a Member of the Bermuda Bar since 1979.
- Justice of the Peace, Notary Public and Commissioner of Oaths
- Bachelor of Laws Degree, University of New Brunswick (New Brunswick, Canada), 1979
- Bachelor of Arts Degree (Hons.) in Economics, Mount Allison University (New Brunswick, Canada), 1976
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Accounting, Mount Allison University (New Brunswick, Canada), 1975
Honours and Awards
- Bermuda National Trust Honorary Life Membership, 1989
- Bermuda Jaycees Outstanding Young Person, 1985
- Appleby Spurling & Kempe Scholar, 1976–1979
- Bermuda Scholar, 1972–1976